6:45 AM

Spring Salads

Posted by Nicole |


It is finally feeling like spring here in the Northwest. When the sun comes out, it is beautiful and I can't help but think of all the delicious produce that will soon be growing in our area. A good Spring vegetable option is salad. Whether you grow your own lettuce as I am hoping to do this season, or pick up some organic salad leaves, as I do during the winter, there are endless ideas for dressing up a bowl of salad.

I have been making my own dressings for a long time and there aren't many differences now that I am following the Weston A. Price principles. The main difference is the type of vinegar used. I am a fan of many types of vinegars, depending on the style of dressing I am making, but I have been opting for raw, unpasteurized red wine vinegar more and more lately. It is full of good enzymes and the flavor is a nice pairing with many ingredients. Here are a few of my favorite vinaigrette style dressings. While I have written them as recipes, I don't always measure for dressings. I go by the 1 part vinegar/lemon juice to 2-3 parts oil in most cases. This first dressing is an exception because of the creaminess of the cheese.

Blue Cheese Vinaigrette:

1/4 cup raw red wine vinegar

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp rapadura or sucanat

Whisk these ingredients together until sweetener has dissolved and season with salt and pepper

Slowly whisk in,

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Stir in,

1/4 - 1/2 cup imported crumbled raw blue/Roquefort cheese

Pour onto a crisp salad of romaine lettuce and enjoy!


Caesar Dressing:

I have always made this as a vinaigrette without the raw egg because I am too chicken... But since trying it with a local, fresh egg, I am converted. It is delicious!

1/8 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (maybe I add more, I don't really measure)

1/2-1 tsp Dijon mustard

1/2-1 tsp anchovy paste

1 garlic clove

1 egg yolk

1/4-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

salt and freshly ground pepper

blend all ingredients in a food processor/blender until smooth. Pour over crisp salad and add lots of imported Parmesan cheese and croutons if desired.


Bacon Lettuce Tomato Salad:

This is a favorite for us, often it serves as a main meal salad. You have to get over the fat is bad idea to enjoy it fully!

1-2 cups of bread, cut in cubes

4-6 slices uncured bacon

2-3 Tblsp raw red wine vinegar

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard

salt and freshly ground pepper

Cook bacon slices in a heavy skillet over medium heat until desired crispness. Leave fat in the skillet and add bread cubes. Cook, stirring until browned and toasty.

In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over crisp salad greens of choice and add bacon croutons. Crumble cooked bacon over salad and add chopped or sliced tomatoes and avocado slices, red onion slices if desired.


So there are few more involved salads that I make. Often times, however I simply toss salad leaves with oil and vinegar and add slivered almonds, cheese and dried fruit. Any vinaigrette's can be dressed up with fresh or dried herbs, different types of oils - cold expeller pressed nut oils, flax oil for example.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are you able to purchase raw red wine vinegar? I have raw apple cider vinegar, but I don't think that's the same thing.

Thanks for any info you can provide, and the BLT salad looks great!

Jen

Nicole said...

Hi Jen,
I found my vinegar at a small, local produce store that stocks some shelf products as well. I haven't seen any in regular grocery stores though, so online might be a good option. The brand I bought is Eden. However, for a BLT salad (as with any dressing) you could substiture apple cider vinegar if you enjoy the flavor or lemon juice.

Post a Comment

Subscribe