10:20 AM

The On-Going Change

Posted by Heather |


The number one question I've been getting lately from people who know about our Traditional Food Challenge is: "So are you still on your diet?"


I suppose it is a valid question. A "diet" in the traditional sense of the word would imply that it is just for a short time and that sooner or later, we'll fall off the bandwagon - right back to those pop-tarts and frozen burritos! But instead of a diet, what we've been doing is more of a lifestyle change.

So how are we doing? Well, we are still buying as much local, organic, "natural" food as possible. We're still searching out new resources and doing more and more research on the things which are good (and not-so-good) for us. We're still staying away from processed boxed foods and junk food. I still haven't had a pop-tart in over 3 months (woo-hoo!). Although I seriously considered buying some "organic" pop-tarts the other day - but you'll be proud of me - I resisted the urge!

All in all I'd say that we are doing really well. Is there room for improvement? You bet! I want to get more organized and plan meals out each week. I still get caught off guard at the last minute and think, "Oh no, I can't just pop a frozen pizza into the oven - what are we going to eat?!" I want to try out new methods of making tortillas and sourdough bread (that's another post, but lets just say that my first try left something to be desired - yikes - don't chip a tooth on that bread!).

We still compromise on a few things here and there, because we don't want to obsess over every little thing. But the goal is to be healthier and still live a full and fun life. The main thing that I am taking away from the first few months of this challenge, is that there's no going back. I can seriously never look at a pop-tart (or a frozen pizza) the same way again. When I see the list of ingredients a mile long, none of which I can pronounce, that once-beautiful-sweet-yummy pop-tart is now somehow less than appetizing...

I'll leave you with the list of ingredients on the box of Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-tarts:

Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacinamide, Reduced Iron, Thiaimin Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2, Folic Acid), Brown Sugar, Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Cottonseed and Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil With Tbhq and Citric Acid For Freshness), Sugar, Corn Syrup, Dextrose, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Cracker Meal, Contains Two Percent or less of Salt, Cornstarch, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Cinnamon, Wheat Starch, Gelatin, Caramel Color, Soy Lecithin, Niacinamide, Reduced Iron, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamin Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid. less than 0.5G Trans Fat Per Serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe