2:49 PM

In Season: Rhubarb

Posted by Nicole |

I have come to love rhubarb more and more every year. I love the zing that it has and the sweetness of it when cooked and a sweetener added. This year I have been lucky enough to get my hands on a lot of rhubarb - my sister in law has a very happy rhubarb patch! So far I have made a rhubarb tart (more like rhubarb meringue pie) that is awesome! Here is the link to the recipe(I adapted it a little using honey in the filling and sucanat in the meringue). A couple of batches of rhubarb muffins - one that was sourdough, one just a basic muffin base with rhubarb and strawberry added, stewed rhubarb sweetened with honey, rhubarb chutney (don't really love it and I have a lot of it...), strawberry rhubarb crisp, and a rhubarb syrup.
The syrup was made with rhubarb, sucanat (natural sugar similar to rapadura), and water. When the rhubarb is soft, the liquid is strained and chilled. We made a rhubarb soda by mixing the syrup with club soda and lime! Pretty tasty, but not as clean tasting as it would be if it were made with white sugar, or even brown.
I am really enjoying stewed rhubarb which is really simple to make and quite versatile. Simply chop rhubarb, add a touch of water and let it simmer until soft and juicy. When it has cooled stir in enough honey to suite your tastes and keep in the fridge. It is wonderful with yogurt, awesome on ice cream and tasty simply as is; like applesauce.
I still have some in the fridge - some is destined for a pie as was requested by my husband for Father's Day. The rest is still unaccounted for.
What else do you all do with rhubarb?

4 comments:

Jezwyn said...

I eat it raw! Yum! We had a rhubarb patch at my childhood home, and it was the best to pick and eat while the stalks were young and pink.

Now I can only get fully-grown stalks at the supermarket (and it's usually manky around the edges) so I dice it finely, and cook it with a little water. No sweetener; still controlling my insulin for weight-loss. Served up with whipped cream and a little cinnamon - oh yes!

Stacy said...

Lets, see, what have I done - I made a rhubarb simple syrup by boiling it down with a little sugar and molasses and then straining it. I do a mean apple rhubarb crisp, and I'll probably try adapting that to strawberry rhubarb. Eating raw of course. I even put it on top of shortcakes once! Oh, and yesterday I made rhubarb strawberry muffins.

Nicole said...

oops, forgot to add the link. Sorry.
Jezwyn, I have heard of eating the stalks raw and I tried to get my kids to do it! They kind of liked it...
Stacy, the molasses in your syrup sounds interesting. Isn't it good in muffins! Strawberry rhubarb is my husbands fave combination hands down.

April said...

I LOVE rhubarb! However, living in Texas, it's neither local nor in season - ever. Unless you count Kroger as a rhubarb patch, lol.

If I'm mistaken and you *can* grow it in north Texas, please let me know. Nothing like a tangy rhubarb crunch!!!!

Post a Comment

Subscribe